“The severest justice may not always be the best policy.”
- President Abraham Lincoln
Location: Nevada City, Montana. Settled on June 6, 1863, it was one of two major commerce towns in the territory, along with its sister city, Virginia City, MT. Presently, Nevada City has been restored as an Outdoor Living History Historical Museum and tourist attraction.
The case of Henry Plummer represents the gray area between due process and necessary action, depending on whether you view a rise in criminal activity as a matter for the justice system no matter how lacking, or local imperium no matter how brutal. In an interview with Frederick Allen, author of A Decent, Orderly Lynching: The Montana Vigilantes, we discuss his initial interest in the story, the motivations of the people involved, and the debate their actions spurred, then and now.
- Erastus "Red" Yeager's confession list, as compiled by author Carol Buchanan http://bit.ly/2oYZVOr
- Montana 3-7-77 - How Freemasonry tamed a territory http://bit.ly/2oW7fcM
- Montana Trooper's Association on the meaning of 3-7-77 http://bit.ly/2pMKVHk
- Bannack Community Events page on http://www.bannack3777.com/
- Calculate how much was stolen during stage coach robberies in today's values http://bit.ly/2oavVQ1
- Boone Helm and other cannibals of the Old West http://bit.ly/2qtx7xY
- Henry Plummer's Treasure - on More Unsolved Mysteries http://bit.ly/2qtDst9
- Did Rob Towner find Henry Plummer's Gold? http://bit.ly/2oNwClN
- Montana's lost treasure sites http://bit.ly/2pl6zRE
- Henry Plummer on Wikipedia http://bit.ly/2ovLTUc
- Montana Legends: Henry Plummer - Sheriff Meets a Noose http://bit.ly/2pP7KK0
- Henry Plummer on History.com http://bit.ly/2q14Xu0
- "The Innocents" gang of Road Agents http://bit.ly/2pnwB8b
- Montana Vigilantes http://bit.ly/2pOekO7
- Bannack, Montana, now a ghost town http://bit.ly/2q0Ovtw
- Virginia City, Montana, a still lively ghost town http://bit.ly/2p5Eo9s
- Author & Researcher Carol Buchanan, Ph.D. on Henry Plummer http://bit.ly/2p5FwKt
- The Vigilantes of Montana by John C. Fazio http://bit.ly/2oT6xjP
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- BloomThat! - Show Mom you care by sending her an artisanally arranged, fresh-cut, gorgeous floral bouquet or Gift Basket! Go to BloomThat.com/LEGENDS to get a FREE premium designer vase and box of salted caramels along with her flowers - a $25 value!
- The Great Courses Plus - Go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/legends and get one month of FREE, UNLIMITED access to over 8000 courses on everything from lectures on history, science or literature to cooking, playing the guitar and photography.
- Blue Apron - Home cooking never tasted so good or was so much fun to make! Go to BlueApron.com/astonishing to get your first THREE MEALS FREE with FREE SHIPPING!
Episode 70: The Sheriff and Outlaw Henry Plummer (Part Three) - Interview with author Frederick Allen. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Photos taken by Forrest Burgess, Copyright July, 2004.