“The Klingenberg case was for all those involved, a breathtaking experience. Someone on the outside cannot possibly appreciate this experience. Man’s imagination is stretched past the limit when it comes to demonic possession.”
– Father Ernst Alt, quoted from "Anneliese Michel: A true story of a case of demonic possession" by Lawrence LeBlanc and Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea
Anneliese Michel was buried in the Klingenberg Cemetery, Klingenberg am Main, Miltenberger Landkreis, Bavaria (Bayern), Germany. To this day, her grave remains a pilgrimage site for believers.
Was Anneliese Michel truly possessed by demonic forces, or was she suffering from a more earthly psychological affliction such as an extreme case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with Scrupulosity, epilepsy, PTSD or Anti-NMDA Receptor Encephalitis? Tonight we examine this case from the solely scientific, clinical angle with our interview of Dr. Jennifer Sy, Ph.D. of the Houston OCD Program. Dr. Sy is a licensed clinical psychologist with training in cognitive-behavioral treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. She received a BA in Cognitive Science from Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, and her MS and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Wyoming. She has published on cognitive/behavioral mechanisms and exposure-based treatment of social anxiety, specific phobias, and panic. In the end, however, even with a diagnosis that seems to cover many of her symptoms, those who allow themselves to consider possibilities beyond flesh and blood may wonder if the truth of Anneliese Michel will remain forever hidden between the worlds of the natural and the supernatural.
- Dr. Jennifer Sy, Ph.D.'s profile on the Houston OCD Program website
- The Houston OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Program
- BeyondOCD.org – Religious and Moral Fears
- The Living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Podcast
- The Exorcisms of Latoya Ammons by Marisa Kwiatkowski from the IndyStar newspaper
- Exorcism: The story behind the story of demonic possession in Gary from the IndyStar
- WHAT IS ANTI-NMDA RECEPTOR ENCEPHALITIS?
- Father John M. Duffey's Facebook page
- Find Father Duffey's books and many other spiritual titles at his publisher's website, wipfandstock.com
- "Author Spotlight" with Father John Duffey
- The Rituale Romanum or "Roman Rite" for the Roman Catholic Church
- Mark 5:9 – "My name is Legion, for we are many."
- Satanic Ritual Abuse or the "Satanic Panic"
- The "Tanacu exorcism" case of Sister Maricica Irina Cornici on Wikipedia
- Sister Cornici's 2005 exorcism case reported by CBS News
- Father Daniel Corogeanu's involvement with the Cornici case on The Daily Mail
- The Walter Zepeda exorcism case
- John of Patmos
- Book of Revelation: John the Apostle or John of Patmos?
- Saint Jerome
- Padre (Father) Pio
- The Loudun Possessions
- The case of Anneliese Michel on Wikipedia
- Gravesite of Anneliese Michel, which has become a shrine to many
- San Damiano, Assisi, Italy
- Then Bishop Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger's Letter to Ordinaries regarding norms on Exorcism, 9/29/1985
- NY Times newspaper article about the case, dated 8/8/1976
- Washington Post newspaper article about the case, dated 9/4/2005
- The Real “Emily Rose”: Fact and Fiction about Anneliese Michel by Daniel J. Castellano, 2017
- David Foster Wallace's commencement speech to Kenyon College, class of 2005, This is Water
- Dr. Masaru Emoto's experiment with thoughts affecting water crystals, or "Hado"
- True Evil: The Tragic Life of Anneliese Michel on Blumhouse.com
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose, a 2005 film which is partly based on Anneliese's case
- The Exorcist, a 1971 novel by William Peter Blatty
- The Exorcist, a 1973 motion picture based on Willam Peter Blatty's book of the same name
- William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist witnesses a real exorcism
- Jordan Peele's 2017 motion picture, Get Out
- Bishop Josef Stangl's record in the Catholic Hierarchy
- Brief bio of Bishop Josef Stangl
- Exorcism in the Catholic Church - a downloadable PDF
- From the Vatican - Catechism of the Catholic Church
- The Telegraph article featuring comments from Anneliese's mother Anna Michel
- The "Rite of Exorcism" prayers from Catholic.org
- Song: John Lydon and Public Image Ltd's song about Anneliese
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- The Great Courses Plus - The Great Courses Plus app was just voted #4 out of TIME Magazine's The 25 Best Apps of the Year So Far! Go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/legends and get ONE MONTH of FREE, UNLIMITED access to over 8000 courses on everything from history and science to photography and cooking.
- Policy Genius – Life and other insurance is not a luxury, it's a necessity and now getting a policy quote has never been quicker or easier. Go to PolicyGenius.com to save up to 40% just by comparing policies and it only takes 5 minutes.
- Blue Apron – You will love how good it feels, and tastes, to create incredible home cooked meals with Blue Apron! Go to blueapron.com/astonishing to check out this week’s menu and get your first THREE meals FREE, with FREE SHIPPING!
Episode 78: The Devil and Anneliese Michel – Exorcism on Trial (Part 3). Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.